30/07/2011

The way I am #5 - Games and Art

Unfortunately for videogame collectors, there are still many people out there who simply don't understand us... They spend 1000s in cash to buy a great car. They spent over 500 to buy an Iphone. They spend 100s each year in drinks, cigars, go to parties or dinners... Yet, when we spend 200 or much more on one of the greatest videogames ever made , they call us crazy. Unfortunately, that's how the majority of the outside world sees us. It's ok to collect stamps, coins, even cars or painting. But when it comes to videogames, that's just childish.

Videogames, such as many other things, are a form of art to me. The dedication, love and effort some creators put behind certain games is as much or even more than the ones artists usually put in cinema, music, etc. It may be a form of entertainment, but there are some games over there that require a lot of talent and most importantly, creativity. The funny thing is that most people who say otherwise have only a very superficial and casual experience with videogames.

In fact, one of the things I like the most about videogames is the soundtrack. Especially from those japanese titles such as RPGs, some Shmups, even fighting games. The Battle themes for some RPGs starting with the 8bits and ending on the newer generation consoles are remarkable, epic, undiscribable. Yet some blind people refuse to bvelieve that. Some of the music gives me the chills just to listen. Others make me very emotional by reminding me of certain moments of games that are unforgettable. I, on the other hand, can no longer stand any type of music that goes on the radio except for a few particular songs. I hardly ever listen to anything else besides music from movies, series or games. But that's only me. I know I am an exception but I also know there are a few more people who think like me. Xenoblade OST is my current favourite, but there are so many good ones, even from the 8bit era. An example: the Moon theme from Ducktales on the NES. A "random" music from a random level in one disney game that was so remarkable it received a few 12s of recent remixes. Same with all Final Fantasy games, and one that I must point out because I think it's awesome: Lufia II on the SNES. Metal Gear, Wild Arms series, Lost Odyssey, Castlevania series... I could go on and on and on with a list of amazing OSTs for both great games and not so well-known ones.

Now about visuals... Videogames have been an amazing resource of inspiration for architecture, imaginary worlds, amazing landscapes, towns and cities, places that don't exist and never will and some that do. In recent years thanks to all the technology we were able to live these worlds even better. From the 16bit worlds full of colours and animations to the most recent 3D experiences, videogames have always created worlds and stories with a totally different feeling that nothing else has done before.

I could write more and more about this, but I think it's enough. It's a little pointless to write these things though. Most people who visit this blog must love videogames as well. They already know what the rest of the world must think. The people who should read this won't do that. And even if they did they wouldn't change their minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment